Monday 12 May 2014

Rhubarb Syrup


There is an actor that I see on the TV who always plays the role of "angry, bald man'.  I feel a bit sorry for him. I secretly and very strongly believe that secretly he wants break free from this shackle and play Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake.  


I feel this way about some food too. I hate ingredients that get type cast into certain roles.  For example, if I see one more rhubarb and ginger "compote" or crumble, I will go to my happy place of seeing the angry, bald man in a tutu. 


Ingredients

315gr (ish) rhubarb 
170gr caster sugar
500ml water
1 vanilla pod, halved (kinda optional)


Method

1, Cut the rhubarb into chunks and place in a medium sized saucepan. Toss in the rest of the ingredients and place over a medium heat.
2, Bring to the gentlest simmer you can manage and leave for 20 minutes or until the rhubarb is starting to break down.  Give it an occasional stir but don't mash it up too much. 
3, Pop a sieve lined with a cheesecloth or a new, clean jay cloth on top of a jug/bowl and pour the rhubarb pulpy mess through.  Leave it to strain through rather than squeezing. We want to keep it as clear as possible and squishing will make it cloudy. 
4, Cool and store in a sterilised preserving jar or bottle. 


This is good for soda water and ice for a quick drink, dousing ice cream and porridge.  It'll keep for a few days in the fridge and is a bit small batch.


But, if you want to shake that shit with vodka or gin, I am not going to stop you.

4 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I fancy the gin version myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could use it with advocaat to make a rhubarb and custard cocktail? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. whata pretty girly coloured drink!
    it's true that rhubarb is so limited. well done for expanding its repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to use up some rhubarb, I am sure with a shot of vodka added it would be wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete