Tuesday 27 May 2014

Coffee and Turkish Delight Granita



My handbag is a wondrous thing. Anything you could possibly need, is in it.


I forgot my purse the other week and I managed to find £2.84 in the bottom of it so I could grab some lunch. Any emergency and it has you covered. A cut finger, a laddered pair of tights, chipped nail varnish, a broken nail or dry lips are no match for the contents of my handbag. Sometimes I am worried that it has developed its own kind of sentience though. Just the other day I was experiencing a bit of an ebb. My handbag produced a turkish delight bar and instant coffee sachet. It's like it knew...


I'm entering this into Kavey's Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream hot drinks inspired challenge.  You can read all about BSFIC here.  



Ingredients
400ml water
2 heaped tablespoons of ground coffee
40gr caster sugar
1/2tsp vanilla extract
Turkish delight


Method
1, In a saucepan combine all the ingredients, save for the turkish delight and put over a medium heat.  Bring to a gentle simmer and then remove from the heat.  
2, Leave to cool completely and then strain through a fine mesh sieve to get rid of all of the coffee grounds.  
3, Transfer into a shallow, freezer proof bowl bowl or tray and pop in the freezer. 
4,You'll need to break up the ice crystals and then also periodically after that with a fork. It's really up to you as to the consistency of the granita. Some like it almost slushy and some like hard shards of ice. I hover in the middle.
5, Check the granita every half an hour after that'll break up the ice. Mine took just over two hours as my freezer is quite new and has a super fast freeze option. When you've got to to the desired consistency. 
6, Cut up the turkish delight into small chunks and stir through. It's really up to you how much you use. Serve immediately.



2 comments:

  1. oh wowwwww. it's a miserable winter's day here in hobart, but that has just transported me straight to summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get your handbag? Did you find it at a strange-looking tardis of a flea market you'd never noticed before, and have never been able to find since, priced with a cardboard luggage tag inscribed "Only one previous owner - M. Poppins"? xxx

    ReplyDelete