Friday 9 August 2013

Pink Raspberry Lemonade

Sometimes, I feel like I spend a lot of time either trying to get warmer or cooler.

Tapping the buttons on the air conditioning at work furiously. Sliding on a pair of socks. Wrestling off a jumper. Wrapping my pashmina around my neck tighter. Fanning a leaflet. Turning the hot tap with my toes.

I flapped the lapels of my suit jacket the other day trying to combat the thick, sticky smell of a tube train in rush hour. It reminded me of hot summers and double glazed conservatories. The muggy, geranium scented air that sticks to your skin as you pass through. A rustle of a sun baked newspaper and the cooling promise of a small thick short French style cafe glasses filled with pink lemonade.

Ingredients

200grs fresh raspberries
Zest and juice of a small lemon
200ml of water
100gr sugar

Ice, soda water and mint for serving

Method

1, In a small saucepan, stir all the ingredients together and set over a medium heat. Bring up to a very gentle simmer.
2, Stirring occasionally, simmer until the raspberries have disintegrated and you have a pan of bright red liquid. Scoop off any scum.
3, Strain the syrup, preferably through a cloth, to get out all the raspberry solids and leave to cool.
4, Dilute with equal parts of soda water in a ice filled glass. Garnish with mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment