Thursday 16 August 2012

Granola Almond Milk Cookies

I have a love/hate relationship with granola.

It tries and wheedle its way into my life with lures of "I'm good for you" and "I'll fill you up until lunchtime" and "If I go a bit soft, you can re-crisp me in the oven" and "I'm much healthier than a Twix".

My normal response is "Go away, granola. You've caused me nothing but harm*, you take ages to chew and don’t hate on my love of a good Twix".

But every now and then a bag gets into the house and half of it gets eaten. Then the rest sits there. I scowl at the bag whenever I dip into the cupboard for tea bags.

With so much focus on food waste, it was high time someone took action against unwanted granola and some leftover almond milk.

Ingredients

100gr granola
200ml almond milk
2 tbsp maple syrup

Makes 15 cookies

Method

1, Mix the granola, almond milk and maple syrup together in a shallow bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of four hours or until the granola has soaked up all the almond milk. It'll look quite mushy and unappealable but stick with me.
2, Preheat your oven to 150o/c and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3, Spoon tablespoons of the gloppy granola onto the lined sheets and then flatten slightly into rounds just under a centimetre high.
4, Bake for 35-45minutes until dry and crunchy.

(N.B - Depending on your granola - nut to oat ratio/age/crispiness/etc - you might need more or less almond milk. My granola wasnt anything fancy, so it had a higher oat ratio to anything else. Bear this in mind. You could also stir through extra nuts/chocolate chips/dried or fruit before Step 3)

(*I chewed into a mouthful of granola once, which contained a whole almond. Which promptly smashed off one of my brand spanking, newly fitted porcelain crowns. And although I got it fixed the same day, I haven’t got over this. I don’t think I ever will.)

4 comments:

  1. Great idea Hannah, though after your tooth experience I'm surprised you want Granola in any form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Choclette, I think I blame whole almonds more - I see them as a bad omen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah, thanks for joining my blog. I love healthier/lighter versions of low fat trears, and granola cookies certainly sound healthy to me. I'm intrigued to know what does almond milk tastes like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Flash :) As long as you start with a good granola, rather than one covered in sugar then they are pretty healthy. Almond milk is lovely, a lot smoother than soy milk and has a really nice sweet(ish) nutty flavour. I prefer it to soy milk now.

      Delete