Wednesday 20 March 2013

We Should Cocoa: Twin Peaks Tart

This month's We Should Cocoa fame challenge is hosted by Lucy from The KitchenMaid. Last month's gingery round up can be found here. Don't forget to check out Choclette and Chele's blogs.

I had the nastiest cold in the world a few weeks ago.

Do you want to know what I do when I get sick?

Watch appallingly dated TV shows. Murder mystery and science fiction is my hospital. Fox Mulder, Poirot and Jesscia Fletcher are my doctors. Grisly murder scenes, secret love affairs, aliens are my prescription. I self medicate with 80s hairdos, dramatic music and hazy dream flashbacks.

This bout of lurgy was overseen by the FBI's finest "Doctor" Agent Cooper. Even if you haven't watched Twin Peaks, I'm pretty sure you'll know that it's famous for pie. Cherry pie and coffee. I've heard its pretty "damn good".

I've chosen to tart (groan...) up this combo and give you sweet, crumbly chocolate pastry filled with chocolate and coffee ganache and sticky cherries.

Ingredients

Pastry
200gr plain flour
2tbsp cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
45gr caster sugar
110 gr cold butter
1 egg
Ice cold water

Ganache
100gr dark chocolate
1tsp instant coffee granules
200ml double cream

Cherry Filling
1 x 425gr tin of pitted black cherries in a light syrup
2tbsp caster sugar
1tbsp cornflour

Method
1, First make the pastry by sifting the flour, cocoa powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Rub in the flour until you have a shaggy kind of texture. Add in the egg and bring together with your hands. You want a soft pastry that is smooth and not sticky to the touch. Add a little splash of ice cold water it's not coming together.
2, Chill the pastry for around 5 minutes before rolling out to around 5mm and laying in a tart tin that is 15cm by 24cm. Trim off the excess pastry. You will have a little pastry left. Re-roll this pastry and cut out some fir trees.
3, Scrunch up a piece of greaseproof paper and lay across the pastry lined tin. Fill with ceramic baking beans or rice and blind bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is starting to go crisp. Remove from the oven and carefully remove the baking bean or rise. Leave the pastry shell to cool completely. I made mine in a silicone tin so I was happy to let it go cold in the tin. If you are making it in a metal tin, you might want to use a loose bottomed one and remove it from the tin to prevent it sticking. Bake the trees on a lined baking sheet for around 5-10 mins depending on size.

4, Make the ganache by melting the chocolate in a bain marie and heating the cream to a gentle simmer in a small saucepan. Dissolve the coffee granules in the cream. Gently combine the coffee cream and the chocolate and leave to cool completely.
5, To make the cherry filling, strain the cherries and measure out 200ml of strained syrup. Reduce this with the caster sugar in a small saucepan over a medium heat to around 100ml. Whilst this is reducing, cut each of the cherries in half. Take 1tbsp of the reduced cherry syrup and mix it into a smooth paste with the cornflour.
6, Turn your hob down to a low setting and add in the cherries. Add in the cornflour paste and stir gently until it begins to thicken. Remove from the heat, transfer into a heatproof bowl and leave to go completely cold.
7, Once you have the three components ready, you can begin construction.
8, Beat the ganache so that it is easier to manipulate and spread on the base of the pastry shell. Place the cherries cut side down onto the ganache and spoon over the rest of the sauce to create a glossy finish. Add on the pastry trees.
9, Cool the constructed tart for an hour in the fridge before slicing.

9 comments:

  1. This looks gorgeous and I love the inspiration. Hope you are felling your normal self again :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie, feeling a lot better now - so surprising how much a little cold can take out of you!

      Delete
  2. Just shows you how ignorant I am, I know nothing about Twin Peaks or cherry pie. But I do know I would just love a slice of your cherry tart and I hope it's sorted you out along with all the 80s drama and you are no fully recovered. Thanks for entering such a famous tart into We Should Cocoa ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twin Peaks is so bad, it's good! I can't recommend it enough :) Thank you for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  3. Nice choice of famous dish - very delicious looking. I sort of remember Twin Peaks but I'd forgotten about the cherry pie and it's not like me to forget food. I hope you're feeling just fine again. Personally, I watch the arts and history channels when I don't feel well although the odd episode of the Prisoner goes down well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil. It was really tasty although next time I think I'll make a full pie rather than copping out on a tart.

      Delete
  4. Lovely take on classic cherry pie! I wallow in old black and white films when I'm ill, if they're weepy so much the better, I can sob away feeling thoroughly sorry for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katharine :) I'm partial to an old movie too, I love a good poorly produced b-movie!

      Delete
  5. My favourite film of choice to wallow in is Love, Actually. Isn't that shameful? Makes me weep buckets EVERY time. Anyway, enough about me - your amazing tart is beautiful! Thanks for entering this month x

    ReplyDelete