Wednesday 3 October 2012

Ndali Vanilla Gift Swap: Pear & Vanilla Jam

This is one of the gifts I took along to the Ndali Vanilla Event at Fortnum & Mason




Pears are a really hit and miss fruit for me. Buy them rock hard and you start the waiting game of the fruit bowl. A squeeze one day might be akin to fondling a rock. The same squeeze, another day, might leave you frowning and searching for a tissue.


Blush pears are one of my favourites. Ruby red and shiny. The contrast between that and their pure white flesh reminds me of fairytales. I hunted for blush pears for this recipe, hoping that some tinge of of their colour might seep into the jam, but settled for a mix of sturdy conference and dessert pears.




Ingredients

1.4kg peeled, cored and chopped pears (1.4kg prepared pears. I used a mix of firm dessert and conference pears)
600gr jam sugar (sugar with added pectin)
125ml water
2 Ndali vanilla pods, split and seeds scraped out




Makes around 2 pints jam

Method

1, In a large heavy based saucepan, add all the ingredients (except the vanilla) together and set over a low medium heat. Pop a couple of saucers in the fridge for jam testing later.
2, Heat and stir gently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring up to a rolling boil, add in the vanilla seeds and pods, stirring occasionally until the pear are soft.
3, Fish out the vanilla pods and blend 2/3 of the jam until smooth and return to the pan.
4, Test whether the jam is ready by dropping a small amount on a chilled saucer and leaving until cool. The jam should wrinkle slightly when touched. My jam measured a temperature of just over 105o/c on a jam thermometer.
5, Pour into sterilised jars, wipe clean and seal

Next time I make this jam, I will probably only use one Ndali vanilla pod, the quality and strength really surprised me!

2 comments:

  1. Hannah .. your photos are lovely ..
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVELY LOVELY photos Hannah and it was SO lovely to meet you! Karen

    ReplyDelete