Sunday 22 May 2011

We Should Cocoa: Tiger Swiss Roll



This month’s We Should Cocoa is held by Chele at the Chocolate Teapot who has challenged us to make a swiss roll or a roulade.  You can see last month’s round up here for the marzipan challenge.



Initially, this was supposed to just be a chocolate orange swiss roll but I think when it had been baked and rolled, it was looking pretty tiger-y! So I thought I would share with you some interesting tiger facts:-

I was born in the Chinese year of the tiger.  Also due to the time of year of my birth the element of fire is also attached to me.  This means I am a Fire Tiger.  Jim is a Water Pig.  I’m happy with this.  Jim? Not so much.  Water Pig.  Giggle. 

I once sulked for a good few hours because we didn’t get to see the tigers at London Zoo.  I was 23.  I’m never going back to London Zoo. 

Tigers are cooool.  But you already knew that…

Ingredients
3 eggs
75gr caster sugar
75gr self raising flour
½ tbsp cocoa powder
Couple of drops of red and yellow food colouring
Zest of one orange

Orange curd
Chocolate butter cream

Method
1, Beat the sugar and eggs together until pale and fluffy
2, Gently fold the sifted flour into the beaten sugar and eggs until just incorporated. 
3, Take four tablespoons of the batter and divide it between two bowls.
4, Gently stir the cocoa powder into one bowl and the food colouring into the rest
5, Transfer the coloured and cocoa-ed batter into separate sandwich bags, snip a tiny bit off each corner and pipe ‘tiger stripes’ onto a lined and greased Swiss roll tin and pop into the freezer.  I actually used a deep cookie tin to do mine and then, when cooked, trimmed it into a rectangle to roll.
6, When the tiger stripes are frozen solid, gently spoon the remaining cake batter over the top and smooth gently with a wet spoon. Sprinkle the orange zest evenly over the raw batter. 
7, Bake for 7-10 minutes until springy to the touch and starting to go golden brown. 
8, Remove from the oven, along with the greaseproof paper it was baked on and cover the top with a sheet of greaseproof paper.  Leave until just cool enough to handle and roll the whole thing up, with the long side facing you. Leave this to cool
9, When the Swiss roll has cooled, gently unroll it, remove the inside piece of greaseproof and smooth on a layer of chocolate butter cream and top that with some orange curd.
10, Re-roll the whole thing carefully and remove the outside layer of greaseproof.
11, Cut and serve.  Pretend you’re a tiger. (optional)

Recipe tweaked from here

9 comments:

  1. Nice stripes! I love the way this looks and I'm sure it tastes great too. I remember seeing a pure white tiger a few years ago (in a zoo, not in the street, you understand), but that wouldn't work as well on a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! I was feeling quite proud of my (not quite posted yet) roulade, but this is about a zillion times better. And you could serve it to The Tiger Who Came To Tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delectable! I've always wanted to make a roll like this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun and it so does look Tigerish. You've managed a perfect roll too. Something to be very proud of I reckon. Lovely flavours. Thanks for entering. I'm a Tiger too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Water Pig *chortle* the swiss roll looks very impressive! I bet it tastes gorgeous too mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou Phil, Kitchenmaid, Sonia, Choclette and Catherine! It was my first swiss roll so I'm glad it turned out ok!
    Cant wait to see the WSC roundup, I do love a good roulade!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is AWESOME!!!! I am well envious of your creative genius.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the tiger stripes! This is the most interesting swiss roll from the round up - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these tiger stripes, I think I might have to have a go myself! I've just looked at some of your other 'We Should Cocoa' entries - they're so creative! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete